Artist, Illustrator, Photographer, Writer, Thinker, Existentialist.



Tuesday 22 May 2012

The Something Old, New, Borrowed and Blue Testament.

Pack of Print
In my studio practice I have been concentrating on stained glass windows, how they look and their ornate, decorative features. Previously I have used cut out images from an old bible in order to inform my work, this has enabled me to add to something already existing by modifying it and putting my own stamp onto it. Seeing how these prints were turning out and due to my interest in typography I wanted to combine the two and create a narrative with both image and text.
As I am a catholic, not a very good one, but a catholic nonetheless; I take note of churches and show a keen interest in religion, symbology, and art. Walking past churches it made me realise that there is a form of advertising going on, I’d describe it a guilt-tripping people into religion, luring them in, it’s as though if they weren’t to go to church they would be struck down by God or some other such thing.
Despite being baptised, I don’t go to church or worship Jesus nor do I believe in God- maybe it’s just organised religion I’m not taken with? Either way, I’m open-minded and the signage outside churches stands out to me. I’m genuinely fascinated by religion and how they all differ yet seem to all follow the same person/thing/entity.
Below are the prints that I’ve created in response to my findings.






No comments:

Post a Comment